My Nonprofit Story: Making A Difference By Leading With Purpose



Growing up, I had a strong desire to work in the media industry, specifically radio broadcasting or print media, creating an online magazine. Because of this desire, it only seemed fitting for me to pursue my undergraduate degree in communication arts and media studies. During my undergraduate studies, I didn’t know about nonprofit work until I interned in marketing and communications at two well-known nonprofits. From there, I quickly determined that my backup plan was to work at a nonprofit organization in its marketing and communications department. Little did I know as soon as I graduated, my first job wasn’t in the media industry. It was working for a community-based, nonprofit, mental health organization. 

From that point, I wasn’t aware of how rewarding it would be to work for a nonprofit. I was driven by witnessing how much of a difference I could make in the sector and how I felt my career had a purpose. Until this day, I've thought about whether I would feel the same way if I worked in radio broadcasting or print media. 

Fast forward, and now, I have furthered my career in the sector and obtained my Master's Degree in Nonprofit Management. I also went as far as becoming a Certified Nonprofit Professional (CNP) because I now enjoy helping people, building relationships, and working in underserved communities.  I am also passionate about professional development and becoming a nonprofit leader in the Chicagoland community.

Overall, I wasn’t aware of how rewarding it would be to work for nonprofit organizations. So much so that because I have always wanted to be in media, I decided to combine that love with my current love of nonprofit to start a blog called i work nonprofit. The purpose is to provide a social platform of nonprofit career advice, support, and inspiration to those currently in the field or looking to get into it. I am excited to nurture this project in hopes of providing a wider range of support to those in the profession.😀

I tell my nonprofit story for a few reasons: 

1) Throughout my career, I have heard negative remarks regarding working in the field:
“Nonprofits don’t pay as much.” 
“You're overworked and undervalued.”
“There is no career growth in the sector,” and more. 

2) There is a valuable career path in the nonprofit sector and many ways to break into different sectors in the field. It's not just one path.

3) Nonprofit professionals need continued motivation and inspiration to remember that what they do makes a difference each day and that their work has a purpose.

Needless to say, the yearning to start an online magazine never left my heart. Instead, I fulfilled this void by focusing on my passion - volunteering with start-up organizations that provide professional development for nonprofit professionals. I would volunteer so much that friends and family started to ask the BIG question - “Why don’t you start your nonprofit organization?” Over the years, I found myself giving their question some more thought. I decided to pursue blog writing for now because I may start a nonprofit of my own in the future - who knows?! 
 
i work nonprofit stems from my work in a nonprofit, my love for professional development, and my lifelong dream to start a magazine. In other words, now my blog. 

Join me in the movement to share your nonprofit story by tagging @iworknonprofit. Go even further and submit to Most Nonprofit @ mostnonprofit.com.  

People need to hear our stories!

Your leadership makes a difference. It has a purpose. YOU work nonprofit. 

Share:
© i work nonprofit | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig