![]() |
| Image by: Petite Wanderer Photography |
What does professionalism mean to you? How do individual personalities and communication styles play into this idea? What are your preferences?
You would think that it would be simple to define professionalism, but I found myself struggling to identify what it meant to me during a meeting. I wondered, “am I professional? Can my peers see the professionalism in me?” After much reflection, I offered a response but wasn’t satisfied with the answer that I provided. Since then, I have modified and solidified my feelings on the matter. The next time I’m asked, “What does professionalism mean to you?” I will answer with confidence; it means the 3 C’s:
Cooperation – Having a team player attitude is key! I worked as a case manager for a mental health agency that operated using a team model. I will admit that were times I didn't feel like helping my teammate(s) with a certain task, but I acknowledge that it will better my organization and its functioning. Learning how to separate personal feelings to put the organization’s interest first is vital to having a positive attitude and being a team player.
Consideration – Think about how your actions affect others. As I mentioned, I worked on a team. This means that communication was EXTREMELY important in getting our work done. If I received a text, email, or phone call, I was mindful to respond immediately if not within a 48-hour time frame. I wasn't always sure what my colleague may have needed, but, I wanted to respect them by acknowledging their request on time.
Compromise – Learn to disagree without being disagreeable. In the nonprofit world, there will constantly be a need to collaborate with others to achieve the desired goal. Even with that in mind, there will be times when you will not agree with every decision or comment your coworkers make. This will be the time when you listen and then demonstrate an understanding of their perspective before offering your concern. The key to developing a healthy middle-ground is to communicate your thoughts in a non-confrontational, objective manner that will allow others to be receptive to your feedback.
Defining professionalism is elusive. What it means to me is different to you. I’m challenging myself to uphold the 3 C’s in my professional and personal life. I want to ensure that I’m modeling a character of integrity, reliability, and professionalism that is respected by my peers. I challenge you to do the same!
###
This story appeared originally, in a slightly different form, on the YNPN Chicago blog. 