![]() |
| Image by i work nonprofit |
During April -May, i work nonprofit quietly celebrated its seventh anniversary.
Rather than rushing to publish something during the anniversary season, I decided to take the time to pause and reflect. Sometimes stepping away from creating allows us to appreciate how far we’ve come, what we’ve learned, and where we’re being called next.
When I launched i work nonprofit seven years ago, I wanted to create a space where nonprofit professionals could find encouragement, practical career advice, and honest conversations about navigating careers in our sector. While that mission hasn’t changed, my perspective has continued to evolve.
As I reflected on the past year, I kept coming back to a few lessons that have shaped not only my career but also how I think about meaningful work.
Careers are built through relationships. While experience and technical skills matter, so many of the opportunities that have shaped my journey began with a conversation, a connection, or someone willing to open a door. Networking has never been about collecting contacts. It’s about building authentic relationships, learning from one another, and creating a community where people can grow together.
I’ve also been reminded that not every closed door is a sign you’re on the wrong path. Sometimes opportunities don’t work out, plans change, or seasons shift unexpectedly. Looking back, many of the moments that felt disappointing ultimately redirected me toward work that was more aligned with my values and purpose. Often, the opportunities we never expected become the ones that shape us the most.
This season also reminded me that growth isn’t always measured by how much we produce. Sometimes it’s measured by what we learn, who we meet, and how we’re changed along the way. We often celebrate the milestones everyone can see—a new role, a promotion, a successful project, or the launch of something new. Yet some of the most meaningful growth happens during the quieter seasons. Those moments of reflection allow us to reassess our goals, strengthen our foundation, and reconnect with the work that brings us purpose.
As I celebrate seven years of i work nonprofit, I’m filled with gratitude for everyone who has been part of this journey. Whether you’ve been reading since the beginning or recently discovered this space, thank you for allowing me to be a small part of your nonprofit career journey. Your stories, questions, encouragement, and willingness to learn alongside me have always been what make this platform meaningful.
If these seven years have taught me anything, it’s that nonprofit careers are rarely linear. They are filled with unexpected opportunities, both open and closed doors, moments of uncertainty, and incredible opportunities for impact. Through it all, I’ve learned that staying connected to your values, investing in relationships, and remaining open to growth will always be worthwhile.
Seven years ago, I started a blog with the hope of supporting nonprofit professionals. Today, I’m grateful it has become more than a collection of articles. It’s become a place for conversation, connection, encouragement, and shared learning.
Thank you for being part of these first seven years. Here’s to continuing the conversation, supporting one another, and embracing whatever comes next.
Happy Anniversary, i work nonprofit 💚
